I'm glad I'm not the only one...

Have you ever read a novel and loved it, yet you couldn't even remember the main character's name?

Image result for memory

This happens to me all of the time. I was beginning to think that I was coming down with early dementia or something. I mean there are so many times when I read a really good book yet I can't even remember what it was about when someone asks me a few days later. I can remember the experience of a novel and whether I enjoyed it or not, but I cannot for the life of me remember the details that made the book enjoyable or not. Often times I have even picked up a book to read only to get a few chapters in and realize that it seemed familiar because I had read it before. It had gotten so bad that I started keeping a BOB (book of books). It is where I write down details about books and my experiences with them. I can refer back to this to help refresh my memory.  Sometimes I only need a quick reminder about the book in order to begin to remember it, so a glance at my BOB helps me with that.

I have found that the more I read a text, the better I remember it. However, there are way too many delicious books to be devoured for me to read every book at least twice.  There are some I have read and will re-read though, like the Harry Potter series and Wuthering Heights! Well, let me just say I haven't built my reading pace up enough to be able to re-read novels and keep up with new ones at the same time. Maybe one day...

Anyway, I came across this article one day and it explained the phenomenon of "reading and forgetting". It was very eye-opening and a huge relief to me. I was exhilarated to know that I'm not losing my mind and that I am not alone. Check it out when you have time!

Let's chat: Have you ever experienced this phenomenon?

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/01/what-was-this-article-about-again/551603